Welcome to the Swiss railroads section of the FUNET Railway pictures archive
RM - Regionalverkehr Mittelland
RM-Regionalverkehr Mittelland is a privately owned company based in Burgdorf, taking care of normal gauge local commuter traffic
in Central Switzerland, in the Kantons of Bern, Solothurn and Aargau. Gauge width is the normal trains´ 1435 mm, electricity
system is the normal 15 kV, 16,7 Hz and the network was opened for traffic 25. May 1875. RM has 16 electric and 2 steam
locomotives, numerous EMUs, 30 rail tractors or switching locomotives and two "motorised tractors" - it is one of the biggest
networks in the country.
One of the bigger private railroad systems, the RM or Regionalverkehr Mittelland, takes care of short haul commuter traffic
in a large part of central Switzerland, using the main tracks and same normal track width as the SBB. Also the wagons and
locomotives are largely the same as what SBB uses. This Abt no. 929 is a passenger coach fitted with a cockpit and it is
usually - as also here - fitted together with the RBDe 566 electric motor unit. These combinations are from the mid-seventies.
The motor unit RBDe 566 weighs 71 tons and has a maximum speed of 125 km/h. Each coach is 25 m long. Picture in Langenthal,
July 1999 by Ilkka Siissalo
The electric motor unit RBDe 566 no. 229 is from the second series of 1984-85. It is basically identical to the state SBB´s RBDe
560 commuter train EMUs of the so called NPZ or Neue Pendelzug (new pendeling train) series although it is slightly older.
Regionalverkehr Mittelland has 13 of these EMUs as well as 8 of the older first series trains of 1973. The 2. series EMU weighs
69 tons, is 25 metres long and speeds up to 125 km/h. This one is named after the Hasle-Rüegau commune and carries its colours at
the sides of the cockpit. Picture in Langenthal, July 1999 by Ilkka Siissalo
This type BDe 576 electric motor unit (earlier notation BDe 4/4) of the Regionalverkehr Mittelland is a "normal train" of the
1960´s, although the basic design is much older, from the suburban S-Bahn trains from beginning of the 1950´s (see the pictures
of the original BDe 4/4 units of SBB, now at OeBB). Essentially similar trains are used by the state SBB as well as the private
companies BLS, EBT, GFM and RVT on less important local S-Bahn lines. This example is built in 1966. The Regionalverkehr
Mittelland has only 3 of these old units. The motor unit is 23,7 m long, weighs 73 tons and has a maximum speed of 110 km/h.
It pulls usually 2-3 aluminium coaches of the 1970´s, similar to the ones used with the more modern and common RBDe 560 series
trains, and in the other end of the train is a 1960´s Zürich S-Bahn coach with a cockpit. Photo 14.10.2001 in Burgdorf near Bern
by Ilkka Siissalo
Side-tracked oldtimer: this De 576 no. 267 of Regionalverkehr Mittelland RM is from 1932-33. RM has four of these oldies left and
like this one, they are not normally used any more but kept sidetracked "just in case". A thorough modernisation in 1980-81 has
spoit badly the original style of this oldtimer, as it has lost its rounded shapes from the cockpit. Compare the looks with the
BDe 4/4 of the OeBB - that one is about 20 years younger, but looks older, as it has the original front part left intact. The De
586 (ex De 4/4) weighs 67 tons, is only 17,5 metres long and has a maximum speed of 80 km/h. Photo 14.10.2001 in Burgdorf near
Bern by Ilkka Siissalo